Sunday, May 2, 2010

Making Progress

There is a lot of talk out there right now about using biofeedback to determine how or what you train on. This is an interesting concept but I don't know how reliable it is. If I understand it correctly, you can test an exercise, like a deadlift, then perform a range of motion test to determine if you should train on that exercise during your training session. If your range of motion improves, train with your tested exercise. If your range of motion gets worse, it is not a good day for you to train with that particular exercise. 


Here's a question I have - what if your range of motion never test well for a particular exercise? Should you just write that exercise off and never perform it? Better yet, why not try to determine why the exercise test poorly to start with? If I test poorly on a deadlift, why? What is it about that move does my body not like? Should I not try to make the deadlift a move my body does like? I guess that brings forth another question - how would you take an exercise your body doesn't like and make it into one it does like? Hmmm. Maybe strengthen your weaknesses, that may be one solution. Another solution may be to make sure you are moving well in the first place. 


At any rate, I'm not sure it is such a good idea to work yourself into a training corner by only training with exercises that yield a positive biofeedback result. What if you hate pull-ups and because of that, you always test poorly when you perform the pull-up? Is the pull-up really bad for you, or do you just not like doing it? Hate may be a strong word, maybe you're just apprehensive about doing pull-ups... The point is, there may be many reasons you test bad for particular exercises. But it would be a shame to train with a limited tool box of exercises and expect yourself to unlock your full potential when you could unlock your full potential by addressing the issues that cause you to test poorly in the first place. 


Just my random thoughts on training with biofeedback. To me, if it tests poorly, fix it. 


Training today:
Snatch w/ 32kg: 3/3 x 19, 4/4 x 1
Lunges w/ 24kg: 10/10 x 6 
Staggard Rows w/ 24kg: 10/10 x 6
TGUs w/ 32kg: 2/2 x 5


I'm feeling AWESOME!



No comments: